Flex-Coat is Brutal Rust’s solution for lightweight concrete applications. Made from a unique blend of plastic and concrete elements, Flex-Coat is easy to prepare, apply and stain. Used in conjunction with Brutal Decay stains and our Highway Rust patina, your projects will look and feel like real concrete.
1. Carve your foam prop or set. Give the foam a light sanding for a better surface hide. This helps the Flex-Coat adhere to the surface.
2. Working with Flex-Coat is a time sensitive process. Flex-Coat has been formulated to set up and cure like Portland cement. This means that the batch size you mix up will need to be used or discarded. Once mixed, you can't store Flex-Coat for a later project. The Brutal Rust team recommends working with small batches to minimize product waste.
3. At Brutal Rust, we use three (3) different mix ratios that are dependent on how thick or thin we want the Flex-Coat to be.
[The Brutal Rust Team always mixes with (1) Cup and (1/2) Cup measurements]
THICK: 1:3 Ratio of Water to Flex-Coat.
MEDIUM: 1:2.5 Ratio of Water to Flex-Coat.
THIN: 1:2 Ratio of Water to Flex-Coat.
THIN FLEX-COAT EXAMPLE
4. After mixing, let the Flex-Coat sit for 3-5 minutes before using.
5. Once mixed, use a cheap chip brush to paint or stab Flex-Coat onto your project.
6. The drying time depends on the temperature and humidity in your area. The Flex-Coat will go from a dark charcoal gray to an almost dull white/gray when fully dry.
7. If you’re staining the Flex-Coat, We recommend waiting about 10-20 minutes after applying the Flex-Coat. Flex-Coat will age nicely with our line of Brutal Decay stains and Highway Rust patina.
8. The Flex-Coat will also take stain once fully dry. To do this, spritz the dry Flex-Coat with water and then apply the stain.
1. Using Flex-Coat on PVC is easy to do. If you are going to put the PVC in a high traffic area, you might want to try the following tips. 1. Prime the PVC with self etching primer or alternatively you can use 3M 77 Spray Glue to create a hide. Simply spray the project with 77 and let it dry. This will create enough surface texture for the Flex-Coat to adhere.
Need more help: (832) 777 3717
Please give us a call or send us a message with any questions you might have.